The Intoxicologist

Monday, September 10, 2007

Oatmeal Cookie Cocktail - Transforming the Shot

Recently I passed by a new cocktail bar advertising a cocktail I had only been familiar with as a shot or shooter. Curious as I am, I immediately did a little research in my trusty books and sure enough, I found it. The Oatmeal Cookie Cocktail. It was not just a shooter to be slammed back, barely tasted for a split second on the tongue. One could actually sip it for a while in a cocktail glass and savor it, tasting the complexities and see if it indeed tasted like an oatmeal cookie for which it was named. So, of course, I wondered if it did indeed taste like an oatmeal cookie. Being a bartender I of course have made the Oatmeal Cookie Shooter for women who have ordered it. But, must admit, even though oatmeal cookies are my favorite, I had never actually tasted an Oatmeal Cookie Shooter. I as a rule, I rarely do shots.

Aha! I am found out. Shooters and shots don’t hold the highest appeal to me, so I don’t usually try them. My opinion of shooters and shots is that they are not on the tongue long enough to taste, so the only point in drinking them is to get drunk fast. There is a time and place for that some would argue, but I truly enjoy the flavors and complexities of the liquors, so I want to enjoy them for as long as I can before falling flat on my face. But, with so many shooters and shots out there, cutting out that entire section of recipes seems a little sad. Certainly there is room for compromise.

That is where the Oatmeal Cookie Cocktail comes in. It brings in the idea of compromise. I looked up the recipe for the shooter and the cocktail and they both have almost identical ingredients. They are just taken in at different speeds. Which made me think the same could be done with other shooters with the same appeal. Most shooters could be made into a cocktail or iced drink unless of course the basis of the shooter is a visual effect. Then, the effect could not be duplicated in a cocktail or iced drink. The trick would be to decide whether the drink would be better shaken over ice and strained into a cocktail glass or built into glass with ice where the ice would melt into the drink as it is being sipped. This is basically personal preference unless a drink is meant to be creamy. Ice melting would of course ruin that effect.

Oatmeal Cookie Shot

¼ oz Jagermeister
¼ oz Butterscotch Schnapps
¼ oz Baileys Irish Cream
¼ oz Cinnamon Schnapps
¼ oz Goldschlager

Mix contents over ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake until well chilled. Strain into a shot glass. Serve and drink ice cold.

Oatmeal Cookie Cocktail

1 oz Baileys Irish Cream
1 oz Butterscotch Schnapps
1 oz Jagermeister
½ oz Goldschlager

Pour ingredients together in a cocktail shaker. Fill 1/3 full with ice. Shake until well chilled. Strain into a well chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with skewered raisins, dried cranberries, or dates. All would go perfectly with this drink. This is the original version I found for the Oatmeal Cookie Cocktail. I can’t help myself when it comes to tweaking drinks a bit. I found it to be a bit too much cinnamon and a bit too thin for my liking. Try cutting back on the Goldschlager to ¼ oz and adding in ½ oz of half and half to make a creamier drink with less cinnamon bite.

Here’s one for those of you who do shots to get way messed up. I don’t know why you do it, but I’m sure you have your reasons. I know, I know. It’s fun. But, seriously. This one is called for lack of a better name….Russian F**er… I didn’t name it guys, someone else came up with that one. But, in all fairness it makes a great sipping drink.

Russian F**er Shooter

¾ oz Stolichnaya Vodka
¾ oz Amaretto
¾ oz Crown Royal

Mix contents over ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake until well chilled. Strain into a shooter glass. Serve and drink ice cold.

Russian F**er on the Rocks

1 oz Stolichnaya Vodka
1 oz Amaretto
1 oz Crown Royal

Fill a rocks glass with cracked ice to the top. Measure liquors into glass over the ice. Insert a stir straw and serve. No need for a garnish, but an orange peel on a skewer would make a nice visual effect.

Next time you run across a shot or shooter you think sounds like something you might want to actually taste instead of throw back, try it out shaken over ice and strained in a cocktail glass or poured over ice in a rocks glass. You might be surprised that the shot tastes a lot better at a slower pace than you thought it would. Then again, I’ve seen some of those shots….Some of them are aptly named like Toxic Waste, Nuclear Spill, and even a Dirty Ashtray. No thanks.

No comments: