The Intoxicologist

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Tuaca - Not To Be Overlooked

Tuaca is a liqueur I’ve passed on the liquor aisle many times without more than a mere glance, but with a little gnaw of wonder in the back of my mind. It isn’t one of the more widely known or used liqueurs such Gran Marnier, Kahlua, or even Drambuie. All of these liqueurs bring a particular drink to mind; Margarita, White or Black Russian, and Rusty Nail. With Tuaca, however, I draw a blank.

My curiosity finally won out recently at a local hot spot. While perusing the drink menu I ran across a drink with Tuaca as an ingredient. I thought I might like to try the drink, but not without knowing what I might be getting into with the Tuaca. I asked about the Tuaca, but the bartender didn’t know what it was either. This goes to show, just because there is a bartender behind the bar, they haven’t always done their homework. In his favor, he did offer a small sample taste which sold me on the Tuaca and the drink.

Tuaca is an Italian liqueur with the taste of buttery vanilla. The official website says it also has a hint of citrus. This may be true as well, but it is so slight that it can be missed. This liqueur is so smooth it rolls over the tongue ever so easily like silk whispers over skin. It is warming like rum can be, yet it can add depth to a cold drink as I will show you in my recipe today.

Tuaca Lemonade

2 oz Three Olives Citrus Vodka
1 oz Tuaca
½ oz Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
Lemon Twist for Garnish

Combine vodka, Tuaca, and lemon juice in cocktail shaker. Fill 1/3 full with ice. Shake 15 – 20 seconds until well chilled. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.

As a side note, Tuaca seems to have the perfect flavor for a very high end Buttery Nipple as it has the caramel undertone that butterscotch liqueur has, but is not as sugary and raw as butterscotch schnapps. When using higher end liquors and liqueurs it also seems a shame to shoot them and miss the taste. Sip and savor the flavor instead for a change of pace.

No comments: